Pages

Katie Story - Reflection in the WORDS


A miracle story
On September 10, 2011, I gave birth to a beautiful 5 lb 12 oz baby girl. I chose the name Katie for her, meaning ‘pure’.
When Katie was six weeks old I took her to the local hospital for a little trouble breathing. She stayed the night there for observation. After a quiet night, the doctor came in and said he thought she was fine but was going to send her to a hospital with more facilities “just in case”. I was quite confused by this but agreed. Katie slept through the 1½ hour ambulance ride.
Once we arrived, we were taken to the children’s floor but the monitors showed a high heart rate so we were moved to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (ICU) step down unit ‘just in case’. Gary (my husband, Katie’s dad) arrived about this time. They said Katie was in supra-ventricular tachycardia (SVT). The nurses couldn’t get an IV started in a vein. We start hearing a drilling sound and questioned it. The horrible sound was them drilling a hole in the bone of my baby’s leg trying to gain access. They were finally able to administer the needed medicine to get her heart back into rhythm and things settled down.
Priscilla (Katie’s grandma) and Aunt Pam showed up. While Katie drank her bottle, I went downstairs to visit with my cousin who came to visit. That’s when Gary called and demanded that I get back upstairs. Life as I knew it changed at that moment.